When I speak to groups or clients ― I like to describe myself as a translator of sorts. I interpret a need or message for a specific audience. I help make that high-voltage connection that triggers the response or behavior desired.
In our first installment, we covered components one and two of the high-octane story or appeal:
- The Pain
- The Problem
And to review ― we structure the story intentionally to address all key information receptors/processors in the brain ― the emotional, logical and habitual brain circuitry. After all, we learned from Dr. Joe Dispenza in Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself that “our conscious minds comprise only about 5% of who we are. The other 95% is a composition of our subconscious minds ― our habits and behaviors that have been deeply programmed on our mental hard drives throughout our lives.”
Next, let’s tackle the elephant in the room. The Solution.
I always start with the questions. How are you changing or improving lives like the one featured in the appeal? How are you delivering differentiated value? How are you uniquely positioned to effectively deliver this solution and make a measurable impact? What will happen if you don’t act?
Begin with the specific and broaden to a vision of scalability that can happen only with the donor’s involvement. It’s not “we.” It’s “us.” Involve the donor or customer in the solution. As an example, here’s a story about an organization* that provides medications to isolated, under-served communities worldwide:
“Our mission of providing essential medicines to those in the remotest locations around the world is very personal to me,” says Sam Doe, president and CEO of [Organization Name]. “Born in Thailand, I contracted polio as a child and lived in an orphanage until I was adopted by a family from the U.S. at age eleven.”
Now, Sam wakes up each morning in America and pulls on his full-length leg braces — a daily reminder that he did not receive the polio vaccine as a boy. “On the bright side,” Sam teases, “since my shoes are attached to the braces, I never have to look for them.”
Last year alone, [Organization Name] delivered enough medicines and supplies to treat more than 25 million girls and boys in desperate need around the world. More important to Doe, each treatment represents one face, one child and one life — one more son, daughter, sister or brother who is receiving healing, health and hope.
With your help, suffering cannot prevail.
[*Where appropriate, I have changed names to protect client confidentiality.]
So, we have set the stage with the possible. We’ve created the case. What’s next? Now, it’s time for the climax of our story. As Samuel Goldwyn said, “We want a story that starts out with an earthquake and works its way up to a climax.”
This is Fundraising or Sales 101. The whole letter or email is moving toward this pinnacle ― building on the “Why you, why now, why here?” And this is often the place we falter in writing these critical communications. We forget to ask ― and do so directly. We paint the picture and talk about what we do ― but this is where we drive it home.
Web/Digital Example from the University of Dallas:
JOIN US ON OUR LADY’S JOURNEY
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a special space on the University of Dallas campus devoted to our Blessed Mother Mary. Conceived as a sanctuary for students, alumni, faculty, staff and the community, it serves as place to meditate, worship, reflect, breathe and be — amid the chaos and commotion of Dallas/Fort Worth, the fourth largest metropolitan area in the nation.
Situated atop one of the highest observation points in the Metroplex, the Shrine also incorporates the ancient, treasured stone of Tepeyac ― positioning UD among the globe’s most significant sacred locations for the Catholic community. Inspired by Our Lady of Guadalupe’s story as patroness of the Americas, we look forward to finishing the permanent grotto, fulfilling the vision of the Class of 1997 ―and completing the campus’ miraculous spiritual destination.
SHARE THE STORY OF THE SHRINE AND UD <links>
- Explore a Shrine and Synchronicity: Our Lady of Guadalupe and the University of Dallas
- Experience the Creation of a Shrine: The Art of Faith:
- Marvel at the Miracles of the Madonna: The Science of Faith:
Support the Shrine and Learn More. <Link to info signup and giving.>
There will always be a place to pause— and a candle to light . . .
Only one final installment remains in the story of the story. Take a deep breath and stay tuned.
If you’d like to learn more, sign up on my website. I would be honored to review one of your appeals, as well. It’s all about maximizing your appeal. It all starts with the story one.